I took some time off from cooking in the past couple weeks due to a minor medical issue. While it was nice to have my partner take care of meals, I began to miss making my own. Nothing is as fresh as one’s own cooking. Also, I truly love researching recipes and working with food.
I found myself craving a veggie bowl. After some research, I found one that features the perfect combination of veggies, protein and a forward flavor. Plus, it comes from Vegan Richa’s blog site. (Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen is a new favorite cookbook for me.)
I like to do at least some of my prep work ahead of time. I prefer not to rush once it comes time to assemble a meal. For example, I made the almond-sriracha sauce several hours ahead of time. Because it has quite a few ingredients, I didn’t want to be scrambling to put it together at the same time I was preparing the veggies. Also, making the sauce ahead of time gave the flavors a chance to blend. Making the quinoa ahead of time is also a no-brainer.
This bowl was excellent. The sriracha in the quinoa, cauliflower and sauce give the whole dish a pleasant little kick. The dressing was, above all, gingery. The flavors are complex, but for me, the ginger really stood out, which I like. All in all, this was a very satisfying meal, both for its nutrition and its bold flavor.
The recipe is gluten free and serves 2.
Meatless Monday: Quinoa, Cauliflower & Greens with Almond-Sriracha Sauce
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 head of large cauliflower or 1 small cauliflower chopped into small florets
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp or more sriracha to taste
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 4-5 large leaves of collard greens tough ribs removed and chopped chiffonade
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- a generous pinch of salt and garlic powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tablespoons almond butter or use any other nut butter like peanut butter
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha to taste
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp coconut milk (I used So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage, since I already had it on hand.)
- a generous pinch of salt
Put It Together
- Wash the quinoa then cook with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil on medium heat then cook at low-medium heat partially covered 10-15 minutes. Fluff and keep ready. Or use 1 cup cooked quinoa or other grain or lentils.
In a bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients. Toss the Cauliflower in it. sprinkle a bit of salt and bake at preheated 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
While the cauliflower roasts, heat oil in the pan on medium heat. Add the collard greens, salt and garlic and cook for a minute.
Add the water, mix, cover and cook on low-medium heat until lightly wilted.
Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend well. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
Arrange everything in a bowl and serve with a generous drizzle of the dressing, cilantro leaves and sesame seeds.