Goat Cheese, Leek, and Potato Galettes with Pistachio Crust
Makes four 6-inch galettes
- ½ cup shelled pistachios (I used almonds because organic pistachios weren’t available)
- 1-1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Filling and Assembly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, white and pale-green parts only, finely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill, plus more for serving
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- Honey (for drizzling)
- Crushed pink peppercorns and flaky sea salt (optional; for serving)
Make the Crust
Pulse pistachios in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add flour, kosher salt, and sugar and pulse until combined. Add butter and pulse until a coarse meal forms. With motor running, slowly add ½ cup ice water and process until dough comes together. Transfer dough to a work surface, form into a ball, and flatten to a disc. Wrap dough in parchment and chill 30 minutes.
Put it Together
Preheat oven to 400º. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low; cook leek, stirring occasionally and being careful not to brown, until just softened, about 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix cream, goat cheese, and garlic in a medium bowl until smooth. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Transfer dough to a work surface and divide into 4 pieces. Working with one piece at a time, roll out to an 8″ round. Using an offset spatula, spread one-quarter of the goat cheese mixture on dough, leaving a 1″ border. Top with 1 Tbsp. dill and a thin layer of potato slices. Drizzle with oil and season with kosher salt. Top with one-quarter of the leeks. Fold edges over, overlapping slightly. Carefully transfer galette to prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Brush crusts with egg wash.
Bake galettes until crusts are golden brown and potatoes are soft, 30–40 minutes.
Drizzle with honey and top with dill. Sprinkle peppercorns and sea salt over, if using. Serve warm.