Imagine practicing Downward Facing Dog Pose or Warrior II on a mat where your hands and feet are at the very ends of your yoga mat. Or imagine a Savasana where your lower legs and feet are off your mat—and maybe even in someone else’s mat space.
Most yoga mats come in one standard size—24″ by 68″. You don’t have to be all that tall to end up spilling off the ends of a yoga mat that’s less than six feet long. While the standard mat size easily accommodates the majority of yoga practitioners, lots of taller people practice too. Having a longer and/or wider mat helps a taller person maintain an expansive practice, and allows them to define their practice space.
Ever since Hugger Mugger’s beginnings in 1986, we’ve made it a priority to accommodate the diverse body types of people who practice. Even before we developed the Tapas Mat and Tapas Ultra Mat in 1990, we custom cut our yoga mats to give taller yogis the space they need. Our Tapas Mats, developed and manufactured by a U.S. company, have always been available in longer lengths. Since then, we’ve developed four more mats that provide the space taller yogis need for practice.
Yoga Mats for Tall People
Here’s a list of Hugger Mugger yoga mats that fit taller bodies—male and female:
- Para Rubber XL Yoga Mat: At 78 inches x 28 inches, the Para Rubber XL is our roomiest yoga mat. Made from durable, sustainable, renewable, non-Amazon natural rubber, this mat is super grippy and will support your practice for many years. These mats give plenty of cushioning and are super sturdy. This mat is a favorite among teachers. If you have a latex allergy though, try one of the options below instead.
- Tapas Original Yoga Mat: Developed in 1990, these are the first made-for-yoga mats ever produced. These mats are still made by the same U.S. company that originally developed them. The Tapas Original comes in a standard length, and in addition, is available in two longer lengths: 74 inches and 80 inches. Our Tapas mats are grippy, long-lasting and have no heavy metals or phthalates. These mats are lightweight and easy to carry from your home to the studio.
- Tapas Ultra Yoga Mat: The Tapas Ultra Mat is 1/4-inch thick to provide extra cushioning. It’s made by the same U.S.-based company as our Tapas Original Yoga Mats. The Ultra comes in standard, 74-inch and 80-inch lengths. Like the Tapas Original Mats, the Ultra Yoga Mats are grippy, long-lasting and have no heavy metals or phthalates. Even though they are thicker and more cushy, these mats are very lightweight.
- Earth Elements Yoga Mat: The Earth Elements Yoga Mat comes in a 72-inch length, giving a bit more space than standard mats. Made from biodegradable, non-toxic TPE (thermoplastic elastomer), these were some of the first sustainable yoga mats ever made. The Earth Elements mats is a cushiony 5mm thick. These mats have a dry-sticky feel and are super lightweight.
2 More Tall-Friendly Yoga Props
Once you’ve found your perfect-sized mat, you may find that some of the standard-sized props don’t quite fit. Here are two more suggestions for props that fit taller yogis:
- Big Yoga Block: Most yoga blocks are 4 inches x 9-inches x 6 inches. Big Blue Yoga Blocks are 5 inches x 12 inches x 6.75 inches. These blocks are incredibly stable, which is especially noticeable when you use them in their tallest dimension in standing poses.
- 10-Foot Yoga Strap: For most people the standard 6-foot or 8-foot straps are plenty long. But for taller people, and for certain poses that require partner work, 10-foot straps are way more useful. These straps are made from the same ultra-strong cotton webbing as our other straps. You can choose between a metal D-ring buckle, a plastic Cinch buckle or a Quick-Release buckle.
I really appreciate this article and Hugger Mugger’s efforts to accommodate tall people. I’ve been looking for a mat for my 78” tall boyfriend. Any ideas for even longer mats?
THE ARTICLE IS REALLY INFORMATIVE ! WORTH READING ! THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A YOGA MAT IS ITS COMFORT. EVERYBODY WILL NOT FIT WILL EVERY YOGA MATS ! SOME PEOPLE WILL NOT LIKE THE SLIPPERY ! SOME WILL NOT LIKE THE JUTE YOGA MATS ! SO PEOPLE WANT IS COMFORT WHEN DOING YOGA AND RELAXING!
Want axl round yoga mat any ideas
Thanks for your inquiry. There are so many mats to choose from, it’s kind of hard to say which one would work best for you as an individual. But here are a few of my favorites:
Para Rubber Yoga Mat: This mat is strong, sturdy and very grippy. It will last you a good long time. If you want a mat that’s sustainable and will be with you for many years, this is the one.
Tapas Mat: Tapas and Tapas Ultra mats are tried-and-true Hugger Mugger mats. The Ultra is twice as thick as the Tapas Original. These are economical and will also last a long time.
Earth Elements: These mats are non-toxic and sustainable as well. They won’t hold up as long as the Para Rubber mats, but they’re a lot lighter to transport from home to studio. If you plan to have this mat in your car for any length of time, just make sure you keep it in a mat carrier. Earth Elements is designed to eventually biodegrade and leaving it unprotected in your car will hasten the process. If you care for it well, it will last a long time.
Here’s a post on how to choose the best yoga mat for your individual practice: https://www.huggermugger.com/blog/2014/how-to-choose-the-best-yoga-mat/