My mornings are often a major rush. As a business owner, mornings—before I come into work—are when I can catch up on my own business details. When something needs to be sacrificed for time’s sake, it’s often my breakfast.
I know, I know. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I shouldn’t skip it. But sometimes I just don’t have time.
That’s why the idea of overnight oats is so appealing. Just add oats and other ingredients to a jar and let it all sit overnight in the fridge. Next morning, you can add some liquid—I use some sort of nut milk—and it’s ready to go.
Here are a few tips:
- If you use a wide-mouthed jar, you can eat right out of the jar.
- Leave a bit of headroom in the jar so that you can mix things together once it’s time to consume your oats.
This recipe includes carrots and spices reminiscent of carrot spice cake. I found it in the vegan magazine Forks Over Knives. I altered the recipe just a bit. My alterations are reflected in the recipe below. This recipe makes one serving.
Meatless Monday: Carrot-Spice Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 pitted, chopped Medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon hemp seed meal
- 1 cup unsweetened vegan milk (almond, cashew, coconut, hemp, etc.)
- Optional garnishes: nuts of any kind, chia seeds, flax seeds, etc.
Put It Together:
- Combine the oats, cinnamon and nutmeg in a wide-mouthed jar.
- Place the grated carrots on top of the oats.
- Add the Medjool dates and scatter the hemp seed meal on top.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight or for up to 2 days.
- When ready to serve, add the vegan milk and optional garnishes. Stir everything together and enjoy!