A Quick Weeknight Dish for Meatless Monday
Everyone wants to eat healthy, and nothing is better than fresh food made from scratch. But it’s not always easy to fit fresh meals into your schedule. Because I always cook from scratch, I often make big batches of soups and stews that we can enjoy for several days. But sometimes I like to whip up a quick, one-off meal.
I recently discovered this recipe. It’s billed as a Paleo meal, but you don’t have to follow a Paleo diet to enjoy it. My partner and I found it to be satisfying, but not at all heavy. It’s complex in flavor, but really quick to make. Overall, it took me about 20 minutes from start to finish.
I made this recipe for a weeknight dinner, but it could also serve as a hearty breakfast or lunch. I found this recipe on An Edible Mosaic.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb (350 g) cauliflower, chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)
- Fried eggs, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add the cauliflower and onion in an even layer and let it cook without stirring until it takes on a little color on the bottom, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Give it a stir, then add the smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, and water. Cover the skillet and cook until the cauliflower is fork-tender but not mushy, and has taken on a golden color, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the garlic, and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the lemon juice and cook until evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Serve with the parsley sprinkled on top, and add a fried egg if you like.
This looks great, I love lemon as a flavoring in savory dishes. I’m going to make a vegan/plant based version of this (no eggs) using firm tofu instead! I might add some potato as well. Cheers!
Tofu is a great way to make this vegan. Thanks for the suggestion!